Oh how I miss the days when life seemed so easy and everything felt fresh and exciting, a time when music life was simple.
My first entry into the world of music recording was sitting in front of the telly, eating sugar puffs and holding this exact model of cassette recorder out in front of me, right up to the TV speakers, whilst pressing play and record together at the same time in order to tape Blondie on Top Of The Pops. It was a skilled operation carefully trying to time the pressing of the stop button to finish the recording just before the crowd cheered and Dave Lee Travis thanked the group at the end of the song.
I never truly mastered it 100% but I just remember the feeling of pride that each of those recordings gave me when listening back to them, knowing that I had created unique snapshots of time that were personal to me (and each friend and family member who I tortured with them)
I also used that tape recorder to record myself singing (badly) along to some of our family favourites such as Boney M, Glen Campbell, The Beatles, ABBA and any of the hundreds of records that got major rotation in our living room.
“I never for one second imagined that I’d still be doing the same thing, 40 years on”
The basics remain the same, whether you use a £5 cassette recorder, a £30 pair of turntables, or a million pound facility. Talent is talent regardless of the system you use to get yourself heard. It’s about taking the plunge and doing it. If you can sing, play an instrument, DJ, Rap or have any musical talent, get yourself recorded today, upload it online and send it to someone. If someone clicks the thumbs down button on YouTube, that’s their own personal insecurities showing through and is not a reflection on you. Fuck them.
If you don’t feel you’re good enough, practice some more, watch YouTube tutorial videos, develop your skill..but most importantly.. keep at it.
Not everyone is going to be Beyoncé, Snoop Dogg or David Guetta, but we all have the power to make a tiny little impact on the world with what talent we have.
– – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – –
GET IN CONTACT
TEXT / WHATSAPP: 07590 628453
LAND / SHOP: 028 95 439405
– – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – –
- GOT SOME HOLES IN YOUR RECORD COLLECTION?
- We stock over 20,000 new & used vinyl records of ALL styles. This stock level increases daily.
- GOT SOME RECORDS YOU WISH TO SELL?
- We buy records of all styles. From 1 record to 10,000. If you have some unused records that you wish to sell, please get in contact. We offer a callout service for larger collections.
- GOT SOME DJ OR PRESENTING SKILLS?
- Belfast Underground Radio are always on the lookout for fresh, music loving talent to feature on its broadcasts and become part of the team. Send us your info and we’ll give you a chance to shine.
- GOT SOME MUSIC OR SONGS TO RECORD?
- Our recording studios, Cloud 9 Studios At Belfast Underground, record music for thousands of clients around Ireland and the world. Full band setups, DJ Producers, Solo Singers, Rappers, Hip Hop Beat Production, Acoustic Artists, Gift Packages.
- GOT SOME WALLS TO PAINT OR SETS TO DESIGN?
- Our urban art department supplies artists and production companies with spray paint and accessories for iconic pieces and set designs nationwide.
- GOT SOME DJ SKILLS AND WANT TO SHOWCASE THEM?
- We provide opportunities for DJs to build their careers via broadcasting their talents to 200 countries worldwide on Belfast Underground Radio.